These Hands and Feet I Have Loved...


There is no chapter in What to Expect the First Year that can prepare a mother’s heart for a moment like this. 

These hands. 





And these feet.





  • These are the hands and feet that I began to love on March 3, 2013 when we found out I was pregnant. 
  • These are the hands and feet that grew inside my body when I had know idea that a FGFR2 gene even existed, much less that one little mutation which caused an amino acid to be changed on one little position...  could change so much.
  • These are the hands and feet that pushed and poked as they stretched out my body.  They tricked me, these hands and feet.  “This kid is all knees and elbows!” I would declare to his dad.  Never did I imagine that those “elbows” were the tips of these hands and feet. Try I might, I never could feel the flat palms of these hands or feet like I had with my first baby.
  • These are the hands and feet that stole. my. breathe. in the longest seconds of my life.
  • These are the hands and feet that turned a delivery room silent.
  • These are the hands and feet that I kissed for a few precious moments while the tears stung my wide open eyes and my mind raced down more paths than I ever knew imaginable.
  • These are the hands and feet that left me alone in my hospital room for the night just moments after delivery as they were rushed across town.
  • These are the hands feet that brought all four grandparents to our side within hours.
  • These are the hands and feet that have inaugurated me into a sorority of beautiful warriors; a sorority that no one wants to join - Moms of Kids with a Disability.
  • These are the hands and feet that I have grieved and mourned.
  • These are the hands and feet that I have tickled and kissed.
  • These are the hands and feet that have caused me to relinquish dreams and expectations.
  • These are the hands and feet that have astounded and amazed me as they show me what they can do.
  • These are the hands and feet that have had me weeping with family and close friends.
  • These are the hands and feet that have made compassionate acquaintances and strangers become dear.
  • These are the hands and feet that have flipped my world on it’s head and left me spinning.
  • These are the hands and feet that have catapulted the roots of my faith in Jesus Christ deep.
  • These are the hands and feet that have changed me in ways I can feel but not articulate.
  • These are the hands and feet that have shaped, directed or influenced my every moment of every day since October 20th.
  • These are the hands and feet of the broken little body that has needed to be in a hospital for too many weeks.
  • These are the hands and feet that have taught me and reminded me to be thankful for each moment.
  • These are the hands and feet that I have surrendered. 

These are not the hands and feet that I asked for, hoped for, prayed for or expected. 


But these.





































These are the hands and feet I have loved.

Comments

  1. Sweet Jen, I cry every time I read your blog. You have such a gift to be able to open your heart and be so vulnerable as you let how Christ is growing you and your family deeper in Him shine so bright. I just wanted to let you know that I have been following your blog and have been praying for you all and especially Nathan! I hope everything goes well tomorrow!!! And I would love to get to meet your beautiful kiddos one day! love you friend! Love, Jordan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loving you and praying with you - each of you - reading your blog helps me to know how to pray for you. 2 Cor 4:16-18; Isa 58:8 🙏💕❤️

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jen, It seems like it was just yesterday that you were my small group leader in the Attic at Grace. You were such a guiding influence in my life then, and now, after reading your blog, you have once again inspired me. You have such a tender, yet strong heart. I am praying for your precious family. As my Paps always says, "Hang loose and keep the faith."

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Surgery in T-Minus 5 Weeks

It's Been a Decade

You Are Loved and You Were Wanted